App Designer on Ubuntu 20.04

It’s been a while since my last notes on installing App Designer. Here’s my notes one more time on my new laptop with Ubuntu 20.04.

Installing Wine

First, I installed wine. I just used the latest from the repositories. I didn’t install the wine HQ repository, and I just installed Ubuntu’s version of winetricks.

sudo apt install --install-recommends wine
sudo apt install winetricks

Things sure have changed since I last wrote about this. We are all the way to version 5.

$ wine --version
wine-5.0 (Ubuntu 5.0-3ubuntu1)

While we are at setting up the system, make sure that the machine’s IP address is in /etc/hosts. You’ll need to connect to the machine via hostname for certain things in the PIA, so you may as well set it up.

Preparing the Wineprefix

I created a special directory/wineprefix for each PeopleTools version that I use.

export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/pt8_57_08"
mkdir -p $HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes

Before, it asked me about installed Mono and such. This time, it just opened the Wine Configuration dialog, which I simply closed.

Next, I used winetricks to install the dependencies:

winetricks vcrun2005 dotnet40 vcrun2015

A number of dialogs popped up for installing the different libraries. I just accepted the agreements and clicked through to install.

Installing PeopleTools Client

I got the PeopleTools client install from the PUM itself. I opened the file browser, pressed Ctrl+L and entered: smb://TR32/tools_client (TR32 is the hostname of the PUM image machine). I copied the client-857 directory to my machine’s Download directory.

I installed the client onto the C:\ drive of the wineprefix:

cd ~/Downloads/client-857/archives
mkdir $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/pt-toolsclient8.57.08
tar -xzvf pt-toolsclient8.57.08.tgz -C $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/pt-toolsclient8.57.08/
cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/pt-toolsclient8.57.08/bin/client/winx86
wine pscfg

I simply setup my connection defaults: Database Type (Oracle), Database Name, User ID, Connect ID, Connect Password. Then, I did an “Install Workstation” on the Client Setup tab.

Installing the Oracle Client

I got the Oracle database client install from the PUM itself. I opened the file browser, pressed Ctrl+L and entered: smb://TR32/tools_client . I copied the oracle-client directory to my machine’s Download directory.

cd ~/Downloads/oracle-client/archives/
mkdir $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/oracle
tar -xzvf pt-oracleclient- -C $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/oracle

Next, I setup my tnsnames.ora file. I used notepad to write the file so that I would make sure and get it in the Windows format.

wine notepad 'c:\oracle\network\admin\tnsnames.ora'

This is what I put in it:

HR92U032 =
       (ADDRESS_LIST =
           (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = TR32)(PORT = 1521))
       (CONNECT_DATA =
           (SERVER = DEDICATED)
           (SERVICE_NAME = HR92U032)

Finally, I set the following registry settings:

wine regedit
  • Added HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\PATH — added path c:\oracle\bin
    (While I was at it, I also added c:\pt-toolsclient8.57.08\bin\client\winx86)
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Environment\TNS_ADMIN — c:\oracle\network\admin
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Environment\ORACLE_HOME — c:\oracle

Checking Database Connectivity

To make sure that I had the database connection working right, I did a tns ping and then tried to connect through SQL plus.

wine tnsping HR92U032
wine sqlplus people@HR92U032

Note: I did get the following error consistently, but it didn’t seem to keep anything from working:

0035:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.

This is another error that I got:

Message 3511 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNSTNS-03505: Message 3505 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNS

This was because I forgot to set the ORACLE_HOME environment variable in the registry.

Finally, I mispelled the name of the TNS Name in tnsnames.ora. I left off an R on the name. I actually had to grep for the name in the file to notice it wasn’t finding it. I got the first message from tnsping and the second from sqlplus:

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

Update: I ran into another error. I was trying to get a different instance working, and I got the following error when I would try to login.

Your security options are set improperly. Please contact your security administrator.

I though the problem was this ODBC driver error:

002c:err:winediag:ODBC32_SQLDrivers No ODBC drivers could be found. Check the settings for your libodbc provider.

It turns out the ODBC error is benign. It works fine even when it thows that error. The problem was my connect password. I retyped my connect user and password into Configuration Manager, and App Designer connected fine after that.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.