This is a continuation of my step by step install. In my last post, I installed Windows 8 Preview into a virtual machine. This post is about installing the Oracle Database software onto the machine.
Month: August 2012
Troubleshooting Oracle Database Install
I have been trying to install the Oracle Database on Windows 8, and I keep getting this error message:
If you can’t see the image, here’s what it says:
File not found c:\oracle\dbhome_1\owb\external\oc4j_applications\WFMLRSVCApp.ear
Then, the installer hangs at setting a value in the registry.
The specific message is “updating registery key ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MAHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE/KEY_OraDb11g_home1′”. It stops between 72% and 73%.
I read some where that this is probably caused by bad installation media. So, the first thing to check is whether the zip files that I downloaded were valid. I found that Oracle has a Patch Metadata link that points to an XML file containing an md5sum for the files:
I used md5sum to verify that the files that I downloaded where complete:
Here’s a script that you can use if you downloaded the exact same files that I did:
echo "976634087BDC54C72E8DD187049D35C6 p10404530_112030_WINNT_1of6.zip" | md5sum -c echo "F20265A371F737C43713E1E7F3440C2C p10404530_112030_WINNT_2of6.zip" | md5sum -c pecho "8CC4F1132D1DD4FA36B4A13CFC24B9E6 p10404530_112030_WINNT_3of6.zip" | md5sum -c echo "B84E2E894DAC29B96B7FF57C77A6E1C3 p10404530_112030_WINNT_4of6.zip" | md5sum -c echo "710B7EC98AD69E51F02B5E73A9825771 p10404530_112030_WINNT_5of6.zip" | md5sum -c echo "86D0422263F9F9464EE2E0222D10B3B4 p10404530_112030_WINNT_6of6.zip" | md5sum -c
Everything checkout okay, so I proceeded to the next step. I read in one of the comments on the download, that someone had to unzip each file individually into it’s own directory, and then combine them all.
So, I extract each zip file into it’s own directory…
Once, they were extracted individual, I copied the contents of each directory up one level:
This leaves a complete installation directory:
And, I can launch the installer from the database directory within that:
I still ran into this error. Perhaps it is because I didn’t delete the directory where I had tried and failed before.
I hit continue several times, and finally, it finished!
Before completing my PeopleSoft installation on this image, I ended up migrating to a new laptop, and I decided to start over with the new laptop. On my second attempt, I extracted each zip file to it’s own folder. On that install, I receive no errors.