It’s been a while since I have tried to install Application Designer directly on my Linux host. In fact, the last time I tried was many tools versions ago. Since I’ve been playing with a PUM again, it’s time to give it another try.
Here’s my notes:
I figured that my best chance at getting App Designer to work was to use the latest version of Wine. So, I used the repository to install the latest version. I also used winetricks to install the dependencies.
Here are the commands that I used to install wine:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 cd ~/Downloads wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key sudo apt-key add Release.key sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel sudo apt install winetricks
Note: I added the 32-bit architecture, but I don’t think I needed that. I had forgotten that since the last time that I had tried wine and app designer, it required 32-bit. Now, it requires 64-bit, and 32-bit won’t work.
I prepared the wine prefix with:
export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/wineprefixes/peopletools" export WINEARCH="win64" mkdir -p $WINEPREFIX winecfg
When I ran winecfg, it gave me two prompts. I answered yes to installing mono and gecko.
I found it needed these tools (not sure about dotnet):
winetricks vcrun2012 winetricks dotnet46
Installing App Designer
I copied out the client-855 folder from the PUM’s tools_client samba share. Then, I extracted the pt-toolsclient8.55.14.tgz file in the archive folder.
I opened config manager. (Remember WINEPREFIX is still set.)
cd ~/bin/pt-toolsclient8.55.14/bin/client/winx86 wine pscfg.exe
At first, I got this message, and it wouldn’t work:
Could not connect to application server HR92U022 (//ps.digitaleagle.net:7000). Make sure the Tuxedo message catalogs (CMDTUX_CAT, etc.) are in Z:\HOME\SKP\Tuxedo. Contact your system administrator or check the Tuxedo log for more information.
Z:\HOME\SKP is my home folder for Linux. I don’t know why it is looking there, but I ended up just ended up copying the tuxedo directory from the installed path to the home folder. That fixed the problem. I would like to figure out how to fix that though.
At this point, after I set all of the properties correctly in configuration manager, I was able to connect to my PUM image in 3-tier. I didn’t take good notes, but I was also able to install the Oracle client from the PUM Samba share using wine. Then, I copied the tnsnames configuration from the PUM image into my Oracle client directory in Wine. That allowed 2-tier to work.