PeopleTools Bug: Job Data Component Interface

If you create a basic component interface on JOB_DATA allowing Application Designer to default all of the properties, Application Designer generates a unique constraint error the first time you try to save the new component interface.

Reproducing the Bug

File > New … Component Interface

Pick a Component: JOB_DATA

Do you want to default the properties on the underlying Component definition: JOB_DATA? Yes

File > Save … Enter any name

Error Message

File: e:\pt849-903-R1-retail\peopletools\SRC\psmgr\mgrgensql.cppSQL error. Stmt #: 1741 Error Position: 0 Return: 805 - ORA-00001: unique constraint (SYSADM.PS_PSBCITEM) violated
Failed SQL stmt:INSERT INTO PSBCITEM ( BCNAME, BCTYPE, BCITEMPARENT, BCITEMNAME, SEQUENCE_NBR_6, BCACCESS, BCSCROLL, BCSCROLLNUM, BCSCROLLNAME, RECNAME, SUBRECNAME, FIELDNAME, COMMENTSHORT, MPDEVICEPERSISTINT, SYNCID) VALUES ( :1, :2, :3, :4, :5, :6, :7, :8, :9, :10, :11, :12, :13, :14, :15)

Workaround

Just save it a second time.

File > Save … Enter any name

I don’t know why but it just worked the second time.

8 Comments

1. graham says:

What tools release are you on?

2. digitaleagle says:

Graham,

I believe the release is PeopleTools 8.46 with HCM 8.9. I think I also noticed the problem on PeopleTools 8.49 with HCM 9.0, but I can’t remember exactly. I am in the middle of an install right now, but I will boot the HR instances as soon as I can and try to determine if it was both or just one of them.

3. digitaleagle says:

I just tried this in the PeopleTools 8,49, HRMS 9.0 version that I have access to, and the error occurred just the same. Hope that helps.

4. Kathryn says:

Jobcode is getting updated to the future dated row when inserting Functional Partition row that is prior to future dated row, but greater than the history rows. Example:JC3004 – 6/1/2008
    JC2004 – 3/2/2008. insert row has 3004 jobcode instead of JC2004

5. Kathryn says:

this is issue is for job data ci

6. Any specific reason why the unique constraint error occurs for the very first time while saving the JOB DATA CI? Please share the info

7. digitaleagle says:

I never did figure it out. It has been a while since I have tried to create a CI for Job. To me, it is a PeopleTools bug, and I was hoping that they would have it fixed. I just tried it in PeopleTools 8.49, and it still happens.

I ran a trace, so here are some more details:

8. Praj says:

Out of curiosity, I dropped the index on PSBCITEM and then saved the component interface as TEST_JOB_DATA_CI. I then ran the following SQL to check if there were any duplicated rows:

select BCNAME, BCTYPE, BCITEMPARENT, BCITEMNAME, count(*)
    from PSBCITEM
    where BCNAME = ‘TEST_JOB_DATA_CI’
    group by BCNAME, BCTYPE, BCITEMPARENT, BCITEMNAME
    having count(*) > 1;

Result was:
    BCNAME BCTYPE BCITEMPARENT BCITEMNAME COUNT(*)
    TEST_JOB_DATA_CI 4 JOB TERMINATION_DT_1 2

So in my case it looks like the field TERMINATION_DT_1 is duplicating in the PSBCITEM table:

BCITEMNAME SEQUENCE_NBR_6 BCSCROLL RECNAME FIELDNAME SYNCID
    TERMINATION_DT_1 403 1 DERIVED_HR_CORE TERMINATION_DT 3752
    TERMINATION_DT_1 257 1 JOB TERMINATION_DT 3886

That is, both items have the TERMINATION_DT_1 field occurs twice on the key field BCITEMNAME.

This is also the case when you look at the CI properties in the JOB scroll for the TERMINATION_DT_1 field on the records DERIVED_HR_CORE and JOB.

So, I removed the CI I had created (by exporting to file with delete flag and reimporting), recreated the unique index on PSBCITEM, and performed the “save twice” trick to get it to save the CI.

I queried the PSBCITEM table again, and the TERMINATION_DT_1 returned was the one for the RECNAME, DERIVED_HR_CORE. So for some reason, during the second save, app designer decides to drop the TERMINATION_DT_1 field from the JOB scroll.

So I figured I could do this manually, by deleting the CI again (using a file project), recreating the CI, and then going into the properties and removing the field TERMINATION_DT_1 from the JOB record of the JOB scroll (or renaming the field to TERMINATION_DT_1_1). Both these options worked for me.

Can anyone else confirm if this is the case for them? Thanks.

1 Trackbacks